Creative Circle Tuesdays: Judy Polstra

Leave a Comment
Artist Judy Polstra
Name: Judy Polstra
Website: judypolstra.com

What is your medium(s): primarily mixed media/found objects

What type of art do you do? Visual: mixed media 3-d

What inspires you? Beautiful music, especially classical. I’m a wanna-be pianist. Classical, jazz, and the blues never fail to inspire me.

What pieces did you include in the exhibit "L’éléphant dans la Salle" and why? (please share some of the story behind some of the work)

The System by Judy Polstra
  1.   “The System” miced media installation- Inspired by stories about DCF (Dept. of Children and Families) and CPS (Child Protective Serives); children were identified as being in troubled or dangerous homes. They were then lost in bureaucracy and ended dead- since no one followed up after the initial report. Additional stories about the VA ((Dept.) of Veterans Affairs) where our Veterans are denied or severly delayed medical treatment; big banks and “corporations as people” are more Systems that leave carnage in their wake.
  2. “Put Your Fingers in my Hole’ –neon sign- I came up with these words after I was car-jacked by two criminals at gunpoint. While I was not hurt physically, the aftermath left me traumatized and afraid. I spiraled into a deep depression and I just wanted the pain to stop. I felt like I had a giant hole in my gut and psyche. When the words popped into my head, the double entendre made me smile. Most everyone who sees it smiles or giggles, thinking it’s a sexual innuendo. The smiles and comments of watching others helped the healing from the ordeal to begin.
  3.  “We Do”- plaster wedding cake- a tribute to gay marriage, showing 2 grooms and 2 groomsmen. Why this is still a taboo to ANYONE baffles me.
Dying to be Beautiful by Judy Polstra


Self taught or traditionally trained? Self taught. My mother was an oil painter, so I grew up surrounded by art. I’ve been drawing and painting since before I could walk.

Share one thing that has impacted your work?  Volunteering for Hospice, the murder of a family member and my car-jacking experiences have given me the clarity to embrace my mortality. It’s also given me the courage and strength to be more fearless in my art and life in general.
Support to Halt Aging Process by Judy Polstr

Name one thing we may not know about you or your work? I am a wanna be Buddhist and Vegan. Both are lifelong works in progress.

If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be? That all living beings be free from suffering.

If you had access to a time machine, where would you go?  Vienna, Austria in the late 1700's early 1800's to meet and know Beethoven.

If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring creative, what would it be? Never give up on your passion, because you WILL want to. And follow your inner voice. It’s wiser than you realize.

If you could have one super power, what would it be? Flawless intuition

Social Media drug of choice?: Facebook. I don’t tweet and have never tried Instagram


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me, positive feedback, professional critique. Questions/requests on commissioned work.